Now you can work in Spain with a student visa!

You may be authorised to work with the visa as self-employed or on your own, with prior request from the interested party or the company, as long as the activities are compatible with the studies and do not exceed 30 hours per week. The duration of the permit will be the same as that of the studies carried out up to a maximum of two years (in the case of studies carried out in an authorized higher education institution or with mandatory training practices).

Both the admission process and the tuition fee are the same for European students and for students from non-European countries. However, it is necessary to take into account some aspects related to academic documentation, visas, etc. which we mention below:


If you have the nationality of a country in the European Union (EU), the EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) or Switzerland: you can work and live in Spain with a valid identity document; but if the stay is longer than 90 days, once in Spain you must apply for registration in the Central Register of Foreigners. This registration leads to a certificate of registration being issued and includes a NIE number.

More information

Legalize documentation

If your degree and your academic certificate are not issued by a member state of the European Union (or Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland), you will need to complete all legalization procedures for both documents. You must do this process in the country where the title was issued and before you leave the country, as it is not possible to do this procedure in Barcelona.

More information

Medical insurance

All TecnoCampus students must have health coverage, you must check below which group you belong to to verify that you have health insurance.

More information

Banking system

The banking system meets all international standards and has a large network of branches and ATMs. However, we explain how to open a bank account if necessary.

More information

Living in Mataró/Barcelona

We do not have a student residence, but it is possible to find either a residence in Barcelona, ​​about 40 km from the university, or a flat to share either in Mataró or Barcelona.

Accommodation options

Student services

The TecnoCampus offers various services to students such as the Talent Exchange, Job Coaching, Webinars skills UP as well as an entrepreneurial Hub and a large university community.

Discover them!

Informative guide to obtain a Student Visa

Know all the detailed information about the process, the duration of the permit and your right to work in Spain as a student

You can also find out how access the residence permit once you have completed your high-level university studies.


Request your visa!


How to apply for your visa?

You must request this document directly from the police station:

  1. Residents in Mataró: Avinguda Gatassa police station, 15 (902 24 73 64).
  2. Residents in Barcelona: Rambla Guipúscoa police station, 74. You must make an appointment on the website (Foreign Affairs\Pre-appointment for foreign affairs\Access the procedure\Barcelona\EU Certificate\EntrarForeign).

If you do not find yourself in any of these categories, you only have to go to the Spanish consular representation in your country to be informed about the legal requirements for entry and permission to study in Barcelona.

The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will help you find the nearest Spanish embassy or consulate.

To apply for a visa you need a letter of acceptance from TecnoCampus, which can be obtained from the International Office ( In order to send you the acceptance letter, it is essential that you are correctly registered with our University (see section a).

The process of obtaining a visa can be quite lengthy, so it is recommended to do so in advance.

The visa must be a study visa(type D). Any other type of visa does not entitle you to the subsequent use of your Foreign Person Identity Card (TIE).



Do you need to legalize documents?


What does it mean to "legalize a document"?

  • Diplomatic legalization is an administrative act by which validity is granted to a foreign public document while verifying the authenticity of the signatures and the quality in which the signing authority acts.
  • You will only have to legalize your university degree and personal academic certificate through diplomatic channels if these have been issued in a non-EU country.
  • If you have doubts about where and how to do diplomatic legalization in your home country, it is very likely that your home university can help you

How is a document legalized?

There are usually two types of legalisations, which depend on the country of qualification. Consult this list of countries to know which stamps you need. Keep in mind that these other countries do not require any type of legalization.

  1. If the country has subscribed to the Hague Convention, you will have to stamp the documents with the Hague stamp.
  2. If the country has NOT signed the Hague Convention, the documents must include three stamps:
  • Ministry of Education (the seal of the university that issued the degree is also accepted instead).
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Diplomatic or consular representation of Spain in the country issuing the degree.

It is very important that you bear in mind that university degrees and academic certificates that are not written in Catalan, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese or English must be translated into Catalan or Spanish by an official translator


    Don't forget health insurance!


    All exchange students must have health coverage:

    • If you are a Spanish citizen you must have valid health coverage for Barcelona
    • If you are a citizen of a country that is a member of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you must be a holder of the European health card
    • If you are a citizen of a country outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you need to find out if there is an agreement between your country's social security system and Spain (this is the case for some Latin American countries). If this agreement exists, you can obtain a document from the relevant authorities in your country authorizing you to have free medical assistance in Spain
    • Si If you are not in any of the above categories or you cannot provide proof of the document issued by the relevant national authority in your country, you will need to take out private health insurance.

    If you prefer to take out the health insurance offered to TecnoCampus students, you can check the prices of Cobertis Assegurança de Salut in this Web page.


    Do you need to open a bank account?


    The banking system meets all international standards and has a large network of branches and ATMs. The use of credit cards is widespread and can be used in most shops, restaurants, etc.

    To open a bank account you must have the NIE (Foreigner's Identity Number).

    We also recommend that before you leave your country, you check with your bank about the fees for using your card abroad, as well as the conditions for transfer of money

    Do you have more doubts?

    Access the FAQ page at the following link