What are you looking for?
It is a research group that brings together ESCSET's research in economics, business and entrepreneurship, tourism, marketing and, in general, the economic and social environment from an applied point of view. In addition, it also integrates the research carried out within the framework of the Chair of Social Economy. The aim of this research is to contribute to improving the competitiveness and well-being of the territory while preserving the quality of the social environment. These areas of knowledge have obvious synergies and interdependencies that the group reinforces. The research group was born with a firm desire to transfer knowledge with the public and private sectors given the existence of strong collaboration agreements with many public and private entities.
Dr. Joseph Maria Raya
Coordinator of the Research Group Applied to the Financial, Economic and Social Environment
- Tourism, Housing and Transport
- Social Economy
- Finance and business development
- research in digital communications, marketing and behavioral economics
- Logistics and maritime business
Dr. Alex Araujo
Dr. Valeria Bernadó
Dr. Marian Buil
Dr. Enric Camón Lluís
Dr. Doloros Celma
Dr. Patricia Crespo
Dr. Roberto Dopeso
Dr. Yvette Fuentes
Dr. Giovanni Giusti
Dr. Ismael Hernández Adell
Dr. Helena Hernández Pizarro
Dr. Alexander Kucel
Dr. Jesus Martínez Marín
Dr. Núria Masferrer
Dr. Jose Ignacio Monreal Galan
Dra. Mónica Juliana Oviedo León
Dr. Joseph Patau
Dr. Josep Torres Pruñonosa
Dr. Noemi Ruiz
Dr. Eloi Serrano Robles
Dr. Judith Turrión Prats
Luis Codinas Poch
Below are the different scientific articles written by the members of the research group in recent years.
- Casanovas, MM, Ruíz-Munzón, N., and Buil-Fabregá, M. (2021). Higher education: the best practices for fostering skills for sustainable development through the use of active learning methodologies. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education •
- Manera, C., Serrano, E., Pérez-Montiel, J., and Buil-Fabregà, M. (2021). Construction of Biophysical Indicators for the Catalan Economy: Building a New Conceptual Framework. Sustainability, 13 (13), 7462 •
- Fabregá, MB, Masferrer, N., Patau, J., and Pérez, APM (2020). Self-conscientious competence as a driver of innovation and environmental commitment in higher education students. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education. •
- Sorribes, J., Celma, D. and Martínez-Garcia, E. (2021). Sustainable human resources management in crisis contexts: Interaction of socially responsible labor practices for the wellbeing of employees. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 28 (2), 936,952. Impact factor ISI-JCR (2019): 4,542; Citations: 3.173; Q1 (Business); Q1 (Management); Q1 (Environmental Studies).
- Torres-Pruñonosa, J., Raya, J., and Dopeso-Fernández, R. (2020). The economic and social value of science and technology parks. The case of TecnoCampus. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 632600.
- Crespo, P., Fuentes, I., Araujo, À., Raya, J. (2021). Economic and Social Yield of Investing in a Sporting Event: Sustainable Value Creation in a Territory. Sustainability, 13, 7033. no. 13: 7033.
- RAYA, JM, & TORRES-PRUÑONOSA, J. (2022). The importance of administrative data in the evaluation of the incidence of social housing allowance programs. Evaluation and Program Planning, 94, 102117.
- RAYA, J. & KUCEL, A. (2022). How fiscal policy affects housing market dynamics: evidence from Spain. Bulletin of Economic Research (forthcoming)
- RAYA, J. and VARGAS, C. (2022). How to become a Cashless economy and what are the determinants of eliminating cash. Journal of Applied Economics 25(1), 543-562.
- RAYA, J. (2022). Can social capital variables help to determine loan to value approved by banks?, Journal of Real Estate Research. DOI: 10.1080/08965803.2021.2024678
- LLANEZA, C. & RAYA, J. (2022). The effect of covid-19 on the peer-to-peer rental market. Tourism Economics 28(1):222-247.
- DURO, JA, & TURRIÓN-PRATS, J. (2022). Seasonality and the contribution of markets: Comparing methods. Tourism Management Perspectives, 43, 100987.
- CRESPO, P. & FUENTES, I. & RAYA, J. (2021). Economic and Social Yield of Investing in a Sporting Event: Sustainable Value Creation in a Territory. Sustainability.
- TORRES-PRUÑONOSA, J. & RAYA, JM & CRESPO-SOGAS, P. & MUR-GIMENO, E. (2022). The economic and social value of spa tourism: The case of balneotherapy in Maresme, Spain. PLOS ONE 17 (1): e0262428.
- SERRANO-ALARCÓN, M. & HERNÁNDEZ-PIZARRO, H. & LÓPEZ-CASANOVAS, G. & NICODEMO, C. (2022). Effects of long-term care benefits on healthcare utilization in Catalonia. Journal of Health Economics, 102645.
- MARTÍNEZ CASANOVAS, M. & RUÍZ-MUNZÓN, N. & BUIL-FANREGÁ, M. (2021). Higher education: the best practices for fostering competences for sustainable development through the use of active learning methodologies. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, Vol. ahead-of-print No. ahead-of-print.
- MARTÍNEZ, J. (2022). Technological drivers of seaports' business model innovation. A case study of the port of Barcelona. Research in Transportation Business & Management.
- MARTÍNEZ, J. (2022). DLT-based sustainable business models for the shipping industry. International Journal of Transport Economics.
- HAUK, ESTHER & OVIEDO, MÓNICA & RAMOS, XAVIER (2022). Perception of corruption and public support for redistribution in Latin America. European Journal of Political Economy, Volume 74, 102174, Elsevier Science Inc., Netherlands.
- Galí, J., Giusti, G., and Noussair, CN (2021). Monetary policy and asset price bubbles: a laboratory experiment. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 130, 104184.
- Raya, J, i Giusti, G. (2021). Can information regarding previous sales stabilize the house price index? Evidence from a field experiment in Spain. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 36 (2), 353-366.
- López-López, D., and Giusti, G. (2020). Comparing Digital Strategies and Social Media Usage in B2B and B2C Industries in Spain. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 27 (2), 175-186
- Giusti, G., and Dopeso-Fernández, R. (2020). Incentive magnitude and reference point shifting: a laboratory experiment. International Journal of Manpower.
- Maynou, L., Hernández-Pizarro, HM, and Errea Rodríguez, M. (2021). The association of physical (in) activity with mental health. Differences between elder and younger populations: a systematic literature review. International journal of environmental research and public health, 18 (9), 4771.
- Hernández-Pizarro, HM, Nicodemo, C., and Casasnovas, GL (2020). Discontinuous system of allowances: The response of prosocial health-care professionals. Journal of Public Economics, 190, 104248.
- Llaneza, C. and Raya, J. (2021): The effect of covid-19 on peer-to-peer rental market. Tourism Economics. Forthcoming.
- Duro, JA, Perez-Laborda, A., Turrion-Prats, J., and Fernández-Fernández, M. (2021). Covid-19 and tourism vulnerability. Tourism Management Perspectives, 38, 100819.
- Bernardo, V. and Fageda, X. (2020) Impacts of competition on connecting travelers: Evidence from the transatlantic aviation market . Transport Policy, 96, 141-151.
-Bagur-Femenías, L., Buil-Fabrega, M. and Aznar, JP (2020) Teaching digital natives to acquire skills for sustainable development. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education. 21 (6), 1053-1069
-Camón Luis, E. and Celma, D. (2020) Circular economy. A review and bibliometric analysis. Sustainability. 12 (16), 6381.
-Giusti, G. and Dopeso-Fernández, R. (2020) Incentive magnitude and reference point shifting: a laboratory experiment. International Journal of Manpower. ISBN: 0143-7720
-Agulleiro, A., Miquel, S., Garcia, I. and González, Z. (2020) Approach to the non-professional profile of the fashionable micro instagrammer in Spain, The Information Professional, 29, 4.
-Hernández-Pizarro, HM, Nicodemo, C. and Casasnovas, GL (2020)Discontinuous system of allowances: The response of prosocial health-care professionals. Journal of Public Economics, 190, 1042-1048.
-Bertoli, P., Grembi, V., Llaneza, C. and Vall, J. (2020)The effect of budget cuts on C-section rates and birth outcomes: Evidence from Spain, Social Science & Medicine, 265, article 113419
-Giusti, G. and Raya, J. (2020)Can information regarding previous sales stabilise the house price index? Evidence from a field experiment in Spain. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment (forthcoming). 35(3).
-Garcia Montalvo, J., Piolatto, A. and Raya, J. (2020)Transaction-tax evasion in the housing market, Regional Science and urban Economics (forthcoming). 81, article 103526.
-Raya, J. and Ripoll, A. (2020)Tourism indicators and airports' technical efficiency, Annals of Tourism Research 80, article 102819
-Raya, J., Nicodemo, C. and Mcmillen (2020):Does Juan Carlos or Nelson Obtain a Larger Price Cut in the Spanish Housing Market? Urban Affairs Review 56 (5), 1581-1604.
-Duro, JA, and Turrión-Prats, J. (2020)Territorial versus individual hotel seasonality in a high seasonal destination. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-16.
- MONTALVO, G JOSE, RAYA, JM 2018. Constraints on LTV as a macroprudential tool: a precautionary tale. Oxford Economic Papers.
- RAYA, JM, MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, ESTHER & CELMA, Dolors (2018). “Economic and social yield of investing in hiking paths: The case of Berguedà, Spain”. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 35 (2), 148,161,
- CELMA, DOLORS, MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, ESTHER Y RAYA, JOSEP M. (2018). “Socially responsible HR practices and their effects on employees' wellbeing: empirical evidence from Catalonia, Spain”. European research on management and business economics, 24, 82–89.
- GIUSTI, G., & RAYA, JJ (2019). The effect of crime perception and information format on tourists' willingness / intention to travel. Journal of destination marketing & management, 11, 101-107
- BERRONE, P, RICART, JE, DUCH, AI, BERNARDO, V., SALVADOR, J., PIEDRA, J. AND M. RODRÍGUEZ (2019). EASIER: An Evaluation Model for Public – Private Partnerships Contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals. Sustainability, 11(8), 2339
- BUIL-FABREGA, M., MARTINEZ CASANOVAS, M., & RUIZ-MUNZON, N. (2019). Flipped classroom as an active learning methodology in sustainable development curricula. Sustainability, 11(17), 4577.
-BERNARDO, V. and X. FAGEDA. “Globalization, long-haul flights and inter-city connections ”. Economics of Transportation, Flight. 19, 100122, 1-8.
-KUCEL, A. and VILALTA-BUFÍ, M. “University Program Characteristics and Education-Job Mismatch ”, The BE Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 19(4), 20190083.
-MARTORI, A. "Local television or local television? The impact of cultural proximity on television studios in the digital age ". WHAT: Revista de Estudios de Comunicación = Journal of Communication Studies, 24 (47).
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, ESTHER, RAYA, JM, GALÍ, N (2018). “Factors Affecting TimeSpent Visiting Heritage City Areas”, Sustainability, 10, pp. 1824-1838.
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, ESTHER, SORRIBES, JOAN, CELMA, DOLORS (2018); “Sustainable development through CSR in human resource management practices: the effects of the economic crisis on job quality". Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 25 (4), 441-456.
- OVIEDO, MÓNICA, GUTIÉRREZ-ROMERO, ROXANA (2018). "The good, the bad and the ugly: the socieconomic impact of drug cartels and their violence". Journal of Economic Geography.
- TURRIÓN-PRATS, J., & DURO, JA (2018). Tourist seasonality and the role of markets. Journal of destination marketing & management, 8, 23-31.
- TURRIÓN ‐ PRATS, J., & DURO, JA (2019). Seasonality determinants for the main markets in Spain. International Journal of Tourism Research, 21
- DURO, JA, & TURRIÓN-PRATS, J. (2019). Tourism seasonality worldwide. Tourism Management Perspectives, 31, 38-53
- MASFERRER LLABINES, N., CRESPO, P., & BUIL FABREGA, M. (2018). Social economy companies in the times of crises: Entrepreneurship and survival. Intangible Capital, 14
- FABREGA, MB (2018). How entrepreneurship in higher education helps to sustainable development at the local level: The case of tecnocampus. In Towards Green Campus Operations (pp587-604). Springer, Cham.
- ALONSO-ALMEIDA, MM; BUIL-FABREGÁ M .; BAGUR-FEMENÍAS, LP (2017). Shedding light over Sustainable Development and Stakeholders Engagement: The role of Individual Dynamic Capabilities. Sustainable Development.
- RAYA, JOSEP MARÍA (2017): "The determinants of the foreclosyre: evidence from the Spanish case:", Papers in Regional Science.
- MARTINEZ, ESTHER, MAJÓ, J. AND RAYA, JOSEP MARÍA (2017): Differences in residents ’attitudes towards tourism among mass tourism destinations, International Journal of Tourism Research 19 (5), 535-545.
- CRESPO, P .; OLIVERAS, E. 2017.Teaching transversal competences in the area of accounting: Fact or Fiction? European accounting and management review. 3 (2), 65-74.
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA ESTHER, SORRIBES, JOAN AND CELMA, DOLORS (2017). "Sustainable Development through CSR in Human Resource Management Practices: The Effects of the Economic Crisis on Job Quality. Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management. Published online in Wiley Online Library.
- CELMA, DOLORS, BUIL, MÀRIAN Y PATAU, JOSEP (2017). “Management control in startups with high growth success in the Technology sector: The case of Netrivals”. European Accounting and Management Review, vol. 3, no. 2, 17-44.
- AZNAR, JP, BUIL, M., GALIANA, J. & ROCAFORT-MARCO, A. “An Explanatory Study of MBA Students with Regards to Sustainability and Ethics Commitment”, Sustanability 8 (3), 280.
- CUADRAS-MORATÓ, X. & RAYA, JM 2016. Boycott or buycott ?: Internal politics and consumer choices. The BE Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 16, 185-218.
- GIUSTI, G., JIANG, JH, & XU, Y. (Forthcoming, 2016). Interest on Cash, Fundamental Value Process and Bubble Formation: an Experimental Study. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance.
- BUIL, M., KUCEL, A, MASFERRER, N. & ROBERT, P. “Entrepreneurial skills and education-job matching of university graduates”, European Journal of Education (2016), Vol. 51, Issue 1, pp. 73-89
- KUCEL, A & VILALTA-BUFI, M. “Entrepreneurial skills and wage employment”, International Journal of Manpower (2016, forthcoming).
- FUENTES, I., KUCEL, A & RAYA, J. “Over-education and its opportunity cost in Japan”, Asia Pacific Education Review (2016, forthcoming) ,.
- SERRANO ROBLES, E. MANERA ERBINA, C. GARAU TABERNER, J. “The volution and impact of tourism in the Mediterranean: the case of Island Regions (1990-2002)”. Tourism Notebooks. Nº 37, 2016 pp.269-303.
- RAYA VILCHEZ, JMR & MONTALVO, JG 2016. Cost-benefit and economic impact analysis of the ALBA synchrotron. Economics Note, 115-125.
- BAGUR-FEMENIAS, LLORENÇ, CELMA, DOLORS Y PATAU, JOSEP. (2016). “The Adoption of Environmental Practices in Small Hotels. Voluntary or Mandatory? An Empirical Approach ”. Sustainability, 8 (7) 695.
- CELMA, DOLORS, MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA ESTHER Y RAYA, JOSEP M. (2016). “An analysis of CSR in human resource management practices and its impact on employee job satisfaction in Catalonia, Spain”. European Accounting and Management Review, 1 (3); 45-71.
- GROS, B., & LOPEZ, M. (2016). Students as co-creators of technology-rich learning activities in higher education. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, 13(1), 28.
- BAGUR-FEMENIAS, L., MARTÍ, J., & ROCAFORT, A. (2015). Impact of sustainable management policies on tourism companies' performance: the case of the metropolitan region of Madrid. Current Issues in Tourism, 18 (4), 376-390.
- BAGUR-FEMENÍAS, L., PERRAMON, J., & AMAT, O. (2015). Impact of quality and environmental investment on business competitiveness and profitability in small service business: The case of travel agencies. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 26
- ALONSO-ALMEIDA, MM, BAGUR-FEMENIAS, L., & LLACH, J. (2015). The adoption of quality management practices and their impact on business performance in small service companies: the case of Spanish travel agencies.Service Business, 9 (1), 57-75.
- GARCIA VILLAR, J. & RAYA, JM 2015. Use of a Gini index to examine housing price heterogeneity: A quantile approach. Journal of Housing Economics, 29, 59-71.
- LLACH, J., ALONSO-ALMEIDA MDM, GARCIA-CASTELLVI, A., & BAGUR-FEMENIAS, L. (2015). A fresh approach to context influence, development and performance in environmental management. Business Strategy and the Environment, 24 (8), 855-872.
- RAYA, JM & KUCEL, A. 2015. Did Housing Taxation Contribute to Increase Riskier Borrowing? The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 1-24.
- SERRANO ROBLES, E. “Carles Manera, The Great Recession (A Subversive View)”. Journal of Industrial History. No. 59, 2015 pp.237-239.
- AKIN, O., MONTALVO, J., GARCÍA VILLAR, J., PEYDRÓ, J.-L. & RAYA, J. 2014. The real estate and credit bubble: evidence from Spain. SERIES, 5, 223-243.
- CELMA, DOLORS, MARTÍNEZ ESTHER AND COENDERS GERMÀ. 2014. Corporate Social Responsibility in Human Resource Management: an analysis of common practices and their determinants in Spain, Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Management, 21 (2); 82-89. Impact factor ISI-JCR (2014): 2,321. Q1 (Business); Q1 Management); Q1 (Environmental Studies).
- DIAZ-SERRANO, L. & RAYA, JM 2014. Mortgages, immigrants and discrimination: An analysis of the interest rates in Spain. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 45, 22-32.
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, E., FERRER-ROSSELL, B., & COENDERS, G. (2014). Package and no-frills air carriers as moderators of length of stay. Tourism Management, 42, 114-122.
- PERRAMON, J., DEL ALONSO-ALMEIDA, M., Llach, J., & BAGUR-FEMENIAS, L. (2014). Green practices in restaurants: Impact on firm performance. Operations Management Research, 7 (1-2), 2-12.
- SAN-JOSE, L., RETOLAZA, JL, & PRUÑONOSA, JT (2014). Efficiency in Spanish banking: A multistakeholder approach analysis. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 32, 240-255.
- BUONANNO, P., MONTOLIO, D. & RAYA-VÍLCHEZ, JM 2012. Housing prices and crime perception. Empirical Economics, 45, 305-321.
- KUCEL, A. “Graduate labor mismatch in Poland”, Polish Sociological Review (2012), 3 (179), pp. 413-429.
- BAGUR-FEMENIAS, L., LLACH, J., & del MAR ALONSO-ALMEIDA, M. (2013). Is the adoption of environmental practices a strategic decision for small service companies? An empirical approach. Management Decision, 51 (1), 41-62.
- KUCEL, A & VILALTA-BUFI, M. “Why do tertiary graduates regret their study program? Comparison between Spain and the Netherlands ”, Higher Education (2013), Vol. 65, Issue 5, pp. 565-579.
- KUCEL, A. & VILALTA-BUFI, M. “Job satisfaction of mismatched workers in Spain”, Revista de Economía Aplicada (2013) Número 61 (vol. XXI), pp. 29 to 55.
-RAYA VILCHEZ, J. 2013a. Destination and seasonality valuations: a quantile approach. Tourism Economics, 19, 835-853.
- RAYA VILCHEZ, J. 2013b. Valuing Tourist Destinations: an Oaxaca-Blinder Approach. International Journal of Tourism Research, 15, 417-429
- SERRANO ROBLES, E. "Spanish investment in Latin America is a process driven by public enterprise?". Journal of Industrial History. No. 53, 2013 pp.175-214.
- OLIVERAS, E .; CRESPO, P .; RAYA VILCHEZ, JP (2013). The Bologna process in the area of accounting: Effects on student satisfaction. Journal of Education in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration. 4, 22-33.ISSN 2173-478X
- OLIVERAS, E .; CRESPO, P. (2013). Teaching methods for increasing the participations of students: Innovative dynamics games. Intangible Capital, 9 (2): 526-537
- AMAT, N; MERCADER, R; CRESPO.P. (2013). The reliability of financial information and its impact for analysts and investors: The case of Pescanova. Journal of Accounting and Management. 16, 291-314.
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, ESTHER; CELMA DOLORS (2013): “Internationalization strategies for mature tourist destinations: the case of the counties of Girona”, RITUR, Revista Iberoamericana de Turismo, 3 (2); 44-61. ISNN 2236-6040. Quality indicators: meets all LATINDEX criteria
- MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, E., FERRER-ROSSELL, B., & COENDERS, G. (2012). Profile of business and leisure travelers on low cost carriers in Europe. Journal of Air Transport Management, 20, 12-14.
- NICODEMO, C. & RAYA, JM 2012. Change in the distribution of house prices across Spanish cities. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 42, 739-748.
- RAYA, J. & GARCIA, J. 2012a. Which Are the Real Determinants of Tenure? A Comparative Analysis of Different Models of the Tenure Choice of a House. Urban Studies, 49, 3645-3662.
- RAYA, JM 2012. Length of Stay for Triathlon Participants in the Maresme-Barcelona Challenge: A Survival Approach. Journal of Sport & Social Issues, 36, 89-105.
- RAYA, JM & GARCIA, J. 2012b. Which are the real determinants of tenure? A comparative analysis of different models of the tenure choice of a house. Urban Studies, Forthcoming.
- GARCÍA-MONTALVO, J. & RAYA, J. 2012. What is the right price of Spanish residential real estate? SEFO-Spanish Economic and Financial Outlook, 1, 22-28.
- SERRANO ROBLES, E. “Motivations of Pemex at Repsol, the game in reverse ?. Foreign affairs Latin America. Vol 12, Nº2, 2012 pp.58-66.
- GARCÍA-MONTALVO, J. & RAYA, J. 2012. What is the right price of Spanish residential real estate? SEFO-Spanish Economic and Financial Outlook, 1, 22-28.
- GARCIA, J. & RAYA, JM 2011. Price and Income Elasticities of Demand for Housing Characteristics in the City of Barcelona. Regional Studies, 45, 597-608.
- JUANEDA, C., RAYA, JM & SASTRE, F. 2011. Pricing the time and location of a stay at a hotel or apartment. Tourism Economics, 17, 321-338.
- KUCEL, A. “The sociology of educational mismatch.”, Polish Sociological Review (2011), 1 (173) 'II, pp. 21-34.
- KUCEL, A. “Literature survey of the incidence of over-education. A sociological approach ”, Revista Española de Investigaciones Sociológicas (2011), 134 (April-June), pp. 125-142.
-MORENO-TORRES, I., PUIG-JUNOY, J. & RAYA, JM 2011. The impact of repeated cost containment policies on pharmaceutical expenditure: experience in Spain. Eur J Health Econ, 12, 563-73.
-RAYA-VILCHEZ, JM & MARTÍNEZ-GARCIA, E. 2011. Nationality and low-cost trip duration. A microeconometric analysis. Journal of Air Transport Management, 17, 168-174.
- RAYA, JM 2011. The effect of time on hotel pricing strategy. Applied Economics Letters, 18, 1201-1205.
- CASTLE, DAVID; CRESPO, P. (2011). The financing of business innovation. Journal of Accounting and Management.12, 145-164