Master’s Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business
- Official title of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF)
- Title: Master’s Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business
- Study load: 60 ECTS
- Timetable: Friday from 15:00 to 21:00 and Saturday from 8:00 to14:00
- Delivery mode: Face-to-face
- Qualification: Master's Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business from the Pompeu Fabra University
- Fees: €6,875 + taxes (Approximate price pending approval by the Catalan Decree setting the prices for the provision of academic services at Catalan public universities for the 2019/2020 academic year).
- Approach: University studies with professional and research approach
- Next edition: From 4th October 2019 to 29th July 2020
- Places: 30
- Languages: Spanish and English
As a logistics professional, are you equipped to tackle the new needs of the industry in the global economy?
In a fully globalized world like ours, strategies for trading goods are constantly becoming increasingly important. As such, logistics play a key role in companies as a critical factor both in terms of improving market competitiveness and enhancing the flexibility of the services provided. In fact, logistics have become so important that, in 2015, the EU presented its Logistics Action Plan, which sets out the guidelines for the evolution of this discipline.
Modern business activity increasingly depends on logistics, which generates 10 million jobs in Europe and around 14% of GDP. At an international scale, the logistics sector is valued at 5.4 trillion euros, which is equivalent to 13.8% of global GDP. On average, logistics accounts for between 10% and 15% of the overall cost of a finished product. In this respect, logistical activities are expected to rise by 25.5% over the coming decade, with the corresponding significant increase in the demand for qualified professionals.
Companies need experts who operate effectively embracing the latest trends in the sector with respect to key factors such as the design and management of complex supply chains, establishing comakership (associations for expanding the relations between the supplier and purchaser), environmental sustainability, reverse logistics management, incorporating new technologies in logistics processes, developing integrated services and solutions for trade and designing production outsourcing and relocation strategies, among others.
Nowadays, it is not so much a matter of competition between companies, but rather between their logistics chains. As well as offloading large companies whose main strategy is freight distribution faced with increasingly demanding and dependent clients, this situation requires specialists who are highly trained in logistics chain management within the framework of an executive plan. The Master presented here is designed to train these specialists. On the one hand, this master equips our university graduates in Logistics and Maritime Trade to continue their academic specialization and gain more in-depth knowledge of the sector and, on the other, it gives university professionals without experience of the world of logistics the opportunity to acquire or update their knowledge of the practical foundations of modern-day logistics.
Dr. Jesús E. Martínez Marín.
Director of the Master’s Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Trade
ORGANIZATION AND COURSE STRUCTURE
The Master’s Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business is a master program that sets the standard in the region. The TecnoCampus School of Social and Business Sciences (ESCSET) works with prestigious partner organizations such as the Port de Barcelona, the Escola Europea – Intermodal Transport, Bytemaster and ATEIA-OLTRA (the Barcelona Association of International Forwarders), and is an active member of the Barcelona Nautical Cluster and the International Propeller Club of the United States in Barcelona.
The Master comprises a total of 60 ECTS credits. Core courses account for 44 ECTS of elective courses are worth 6 ECTS, the internship is 4 ECTS, and the Master’s Thesis accounts for 6 ECTS.
ACCES TO DOCTORAL PROGRAMMES
The Master’s Degree in Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business provides access to doctoral programmes, being a 60 ETS research master’s degree.
WHO IS THE MASTER DESIGNED FOR?
The Master is designed for logistics professionals: Logistics Directors, Supply Chain Managers, Logistical Operations Managers, Forwarding Agents, Commercial Directors, Key Account Managers (KAM), Inside Sales Managers, Sales Executives, International Traffic Managers, Directors of Logistics Platforms and Operations Managers. It is also suitable for Land Transportation Company Executives, Department Directors in Sea Shipping and Port Companies and other professionals related to the sector.
Moreover, the program is designed for graduates of Logistics and Maritime Business and other related study programs in the field.
This Master also plays a key role in training researchers and teaching professionals interested in doing their PhD or joining research teams in the field of Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business.
REASONS TO TAKE THIS MASTER
- Having been pioneers in running an official Bachelor Degree in Logistics and Maritime Business enables us to offer a Master program that is unique in terms of its content, based on the in-depth knowledge acquired on the Bachelor Degree program. The Master builds on this to reach an even greater level, both academically and professionally, designed for more executive and managerial profiles.
- We achieved a 100% employability rate in the first graduating class of our University Bachelor Degree.
- We have in-depth knowledge of the training needs of professionals in the sector thanks to our close working relationship with companies, associations and institutions in the field.
- We have partnership agreements in place with the key agents, as well as the leading business associations and institutions in the Logistics, Supply Chain and Maritime Business sectors.
- We offer the opportunity to do a paid internship in one of our partner companies and institutions through our Talent Exchange.
What skills are developed in the master’s degree?
- When the student completes this master’s degree, they will be able to do the following:
- Show autonomy with an analytical approach to issues related to Maritime Business Logistics and the Supply Chain, and in the application of innovative ideas in these fields.
- Apply tools and methodologies that facilitate creative and innovative thinking in the day-to-day situations that arise in the field of the Supply Chain, Logistics and Maritime Business.
- Plan the analysis of the local and global business environments with the aim of anticipating new market opportunities with the potential to be transformed into commercial products.
- Strategically manage business innovation processes in the Supply Chain and Maritime Business, from diagnostics right through to their application, with the ability to align resources, capacities and skills to put them into practice.
- Operate and make decisions in a Logistics 4.0 context, with the use of the latest tools, such as big data, blockchain and industry’s digital environment.
- Design and implement logistics systems, evaluating the different possible alternatives and the technical and resource restrictions, taking into account coordinated management throughout the Supply Chain.
- Evaluate the performance of the entire logistical system, taking into consideration the achievement or failure to achieve the quality objectives, the cost and the planned service in order to detect and prioritize areas for.improvement.
To summarize all of the above, the professional opportunities that will be available to graduates of this Master include the following:
- Purchasing Manager/Planner
- Distribution Manager/Planner
- Logistics Manager
- Procurement Manager
- Supply Chain Strategist
- Production Manager/Coordinator
- International Shipping Planner/Director/Manager
- Software Implementer/Developer
- Supply Chain Director/Manager
- Logistical Project Manager
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management Consultant
- Director of Freight Forwarders
- International Logistics Director
- Import and Export Director
- International Expansion Manager
- Expert in Port Terminal Management and Operations
- Expert in Shipping Company Management
- Specialist in Maritime Port Security and Protection
In collaboration with: