General information

Subject type: Basic

Coordinator: Jorge Oter Gonzalez

Trimester: First term

Credits: 6

Teaching staff: 

Núria Sánchez Guillem
Miguel Guillén Burguillos 

Teaching languages

  • Catalan


Specific skills
  • E12_Planning business strategies related to the economic and social phenomena typical of the welfare society and the digital entertainment industry. Turn ideas into actions in a creative and innovative way


The subject Economics and Business Administration is a compulsory subject within the Degree that includes the subject of Economics. It aims to familiarize students with the most basic economic concepts that regulate our economic and social environment, as well as to introduce them to the functioning of the business world. It consists of two well-differentiated parts: Part I Economy and Part II Business.



1. Introduction to economic theory.

  • Scarcity and choice: Frontier of production possibilities.
  • Economic objectives.
  • Economic agents.
  • Economic sectors.
  • Economic systems.

2. Microeconomics: The market.

  • Demand and supply: Seeking balance.
  • Buyer and seller reactions.

3. Macroeconomics: National Accounting.

  • Macroeconomic indicators: Advantages and disadvantages.
  • Economic policies: Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy.
  • Positive and negative effects of Economic Policy.

4. The company as an organization.

  • Concepts: Company - entrepreneur - entrepreneur.
  • Functional areas.
  • Organization Chart and Organizational Structure.

5. The company and the environment.

  • The business environment: PEST and SWOT
  • Business culture.

6. The company and economic information.

  • Balance: Photograph of the heritage.
  • Operating account.


Evaluation system

The final grade of the course will be calculated by applying the following weights to the activities:

  • Activity 1: Homework - 20%. Minimum three activities per student. Individual work (occasionally in pairs).
  • Activity 2: Infographics - 20%. Work in group.
  • Activity 3: Final Exam - 60%. Individual examination.

To pass the subject (and apply the previous weighting) a minimum grade of 5 will be required in the Final Exam. 

Recovery: Students with a grade of less than 5 in the final grade, may retake the subject by conducting a single exam that will collect all the contents of the same (Economics and Business). This exam will be worth 80% of the final grade of the subject and a minimum grade of 5 will be required to be able to average. The grades for activity 1 (Homework) and activity 2 (Infographics) are not recoverable and will contribute the other 20% to the final grade, 10% each. According to the current regulations of the center, only those students who have participated in a significant number of the evaluation activities of the course and have not reached the 5 final average mark will be able to appear in the resit exam.

Identification of plagiarism is considered a serious circumstance that may lead to a failing grade in the subject. If plagiarism is detected, the Degree Coordination will be informed so that the corresponding disciplinary measures can be taken.




Amat Salas, Oriol (2008). Understand accounting and finance. Management 2000.

Sánchez Guillem, Núria (2023). Dossier of exercises for the subject. ESUPT Tecnocampus.

Aguado Franco, Juan Carlos; Lacalle Calderón, María Cruz and Cepeda González, María Isabel (2005). Basic economics lessons. Paraninfo.


Vogel, Harold (2007). Entertainment Industry Economics: A guide for financial analysis. Cambridge University Press.

Maynar Mariño, Pilar (2009). The economy of the company in the space of higher education. McGrawHill.

Bueno Campos, Eduardo (2005). Basic course in business economics. Pyramid.